Lady Utes win a pair of region games

After winning back-to-back games, the Uintah High School girls basketball team raised its record to 8-3 on the season.
The Lady Utes dominated Hillcrest 61-16 Jan. 19 in Vernal. Uintah claimed a 53-42 decision at Stansbury Jan. 17.
“We played pretty well in those two games,” Uintah coach John Elison said. “Stansbury was a tough team and challenged us all the way down the wire. We were able to break away a little bit early in the fourth quarter. The second half was awesome for us. I thought the girls stayed to their game plan against Hillcrest and got a good win out of that one as well.”
Elison said Uintah’s defense is solid and the offense is starting to hit on a higher percentage.
“Our defense keeps us in a lot of the games,” he said. “We have been working on a lot on shooting, We have been above 30% shooting the last two games which has been awesome to see and that will carry us down the road. We have been getting a lot of good team play and defense.”
Against Hillcrest, Uintah’s Kyrsten Bake led the way with 18 points and McKenzie White scored 14. Rylee Crane added nine points.
In the win over Stansbury, Bake paced the team with 14 points. White and Zoey Glenn each scored 13 points.
The Utes split a pair of games to stand at 9-5 on the season. Uintah came out on top 68-54 against Stansbury at home Jan. 18.
The Utes lost an 87-72 contest at Hillcrest Jan. 20.
Against Stansbury, the Utes raced out to a 17-11 lead after the first quarter. Uintah went into the break with a 30-23 advantage. Uintah outscored the Stallions 18-15 in the third quarter. In the final eight minutes, the Utes never gave up the lead to take the win.
Uintah put four players in double figures. Dauson Gardiner finished with 19 points on a pair of 3-pointers. Jaron Colton scored 16 points. Kaedyn Sheffield and Gabe Elison had 13 points apiece.
In the high-scoring game with the Huskies, the home team was up 32-9 after the first eight minutes.
Uintah outscored Hillcrest 24-20 in the second quarter but was behind 52-33 at the break.
In the second half, Hillcrest stayed in control of the game for the region win.